Re: Cygwin command line takes a long time to start

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 07:49, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> OK then the easiest thing to do is add "set -x" to your ~/.bash_profile
> and watch where the delay happens as the statements scroll by.

Ah, that's useful - I also have a 10-second-or-so delay when mintty
starts. By using a bunch of 'echo' commands and that set -x (which of
course extends the time, but at least makes it clear if anything is
'hanging') it's clear to me that the majority of the delay (about 6
seconds) happens before .bash_profile executes.

I am loading bash_completion and it does take about 5 seconds, but
that's the last thing to run before the prompt appears, and the delay
is happening before that.

How would one go about debugging the bash or mintty startup before
.bash_profile is read?

-- David.