Re: Request for feature: more flexible setup routine

On 7/24/10 5:10 PM, Marshall Abrams wrote:
> I have one suggestion: I wish that the setup routine was better for...
> users like me who mainly want to get work done, don't care necessarily
> care whether we have the latest versions of every package (honestly,
> most of package changes are irrelevant to most people most of the time
> (OK, until you need it...)), and more than anything else, don't want to
> break anything that works.

I understand your desire to be conservative, but 1.7 works rather well.
It's not particularly painful, and you can just back up your
installation (perhaps with tar --one-file-system) before trying it out.

Also, keep in mind that you're not required to use Cygwin's package
system. Just as in any other unixy system, can you compile the latest
version of whatever package you need from source and stick the the
result in /usr/local. (I recommend using GNU stow and DESTDIR to keep
everything straight.)