Re: 1.7: Basic file operations fail on network shares provided by Tru64 Advanced Server

On Aug 25 08:55, Heinz Werner Kramski wrote:
> Am 24.08.2010 18:28, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >I prepared another DLL, which is very close to the "real" thing.
> >There's another flag which I have to know if it's required or not.
> >
> >   http://cygwin.de/cygwin-ug-177/cygwin1-test4.dll.bz2
> >   (md5sum 889a86df2c2aafd010249b27bf10f411)
> >
> >If it works, we're finished.  If not, we probably need just one more
> >iteration.
>
> Test4 works, great.

Cool.  Thank you.  I applied the patch to CVS.  This will be in
Cygwin 1.7.7.

>     $ mount
>     //dlanserv/kramski$ on /mnt type cifs (binary,notexec,ihash,user)
>     C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/bin32 on /usr/local/bin type ntfs (binary)
>     C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>     D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>     E: on /cygdrive/e type cifs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>     [...]
>
> >As for the ihash issue, after giving this some thought I tend to keep it
> >as it is, so you will have to use it on your Tru64 drives.  At least for
> >the next Cygwin release 1.7.7.  If it's getting too awkward at some
> >point, we can discuss this again.
>
> As you see, I have quite a lot of network drives, so I'm considering
> putting the ihash option globally to the uncommented /cygdrive
> mountpoint in /etc/fstab to cure all drives altogether. Will that
> cause any disadvantages for the real hardware NTFS drives C: and D:?
> (Doesn't look so at a first glance.)

As you can see in the User's Guide
(http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table)
the ihash mount option results in ignoring the real inode numbers and
just fake them by computing a hash value from the full pathname of the
file.  The disadvantage is that you can't recognize hardlinks.  That's
the reason I don't want to enforce the option on all NTFS-faking file
systems (== "cifs").  If you think that's not a problem for you, you're
all set.  Otherwise, just add explicit mount points for your two local
NTFS drives with different mount options.

> Please note the nice effect that ihashing /cygdrive/e also cures
> //dlanserv/KRAMSKI$, my Cygwin $HOME, which - apart from this
> testing - is not explicitly listed by mount. (My home share
> //dlanserv/KRAMSKI$ is mapped to E: on Windows).

Yep, that's noted in the news for 1.7.2:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html#ov-new1.7.2
UNC paths now default to the same mount options as the cygdrive prefix.

Thanks again for testing,
Corinna

Red Hat