Re: Building Mutt: configure: invalid value of canonical build

Am 01.09.2010, 01:37 Uhr, schrieb Michael Ludwig:

Matthias Andree schrieb am 31.08.2010 um 00:58 (+0200):
On 30.08.2010 23:52, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>The mutt mail reader shipping with Cygwin does not have SMTP
>enabled, which I'd like to give a try. So I tried to build mutt,
>but encountered problems.

[... long whine about non-working build snipped ...]

Whatever pills you've taken to discern lengthiness and whininess, I'd definitely recommend you stop taking them, especially when driving or writing email.

Sorry, the first edition went out prematurely. Now for the good one:

It's your problem if you don't like the answers. Your "fix" attempts break the build system further, meaning that: if you "touch config.sub", you create a blank canonicalization script, so don't complain about canonicalization errors or other malfunctions -- you triggered those yourself. You chose the blue pill, asking for blitheness, joy, and ignorance.

So to sell you a faint clue of what the red pill might have provided if you had so chosen: a *real* config.sub is what should be doing the canonicalization -- a blank script won't achieve that. automake --add-missing (which is called as part of ./prepare) is what would install a set of real config.sub, install-sh, missing, and related scripts.

The question of if the mutt distribution is incomplete is a distinct one - and the command line you showed on Monday works fine on a mutt HEAD checkout from the Mercurial repo if you follow Csaba's advice; however you can usually just omit --build=... and the auto* built stuff will call config.guess to figure.

--
Matthias Andree