Re: OpenGL linking problems

On 04/09/2010 17:29, André Bleau wrote:
On 05/09/2010 00:16, David Doria wrote:
Well, we need more info to help us help you. What kind of application are you trying to build? X11 or native? There are 2 ways to build OpenGL-related programs:

1- Using native OpenGL, with driver supported hardware acceleration. For that, you need some way to
get a graphic device context. One portable way to do that is to use the GLUT library, provided by
the opengl package that I maintain. Look at the doc in /usr/share/doc/opengl-1.1.0 to learn how to
do that.

The OpenGL implementation in that case is provided by Window's opengl32.dll. Cygwin's w32api package
provides the headers and link library for that version of OpenGL.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH has no effect if you go that way.

2- Using X11, which provides an opengl implementation. At one point, there was support for hardware
acceleration; then, it went away; I don't know if it came back or if it is coming back "soon". I will let the maintainer of the libGL* packages answer questions you may have about it. You would better send them to cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com .

[1] discusses the differences between using OpenGL with WGL or with GLX.

AIGLX should be back "soon", indeed :-)

I've had precisely zero feedback on the test releases I've done, so I assume nobody is very interested in this feature, and it's very 2-steps-forward-1-step-back keeping the necessary patches to mesa libGL working, but hopefully it will make an appearance in Xserver 1.9

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-opengl-link-problems

- André Bleau, Cygwin's opengl package maintainer.

Hi André,

I think I'm trying to build an X11 application - I'm trying to use a
library called VTK (http://www.vtk.org/). I don't believe it uses
glut, and I do see a bunch of X11 options in the CMake files. Even if
there is no support for hardware acceleration with this method, it
should still build, right?

I do have C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll . I should also have the
w32api package because I installed all of the cygwin packages.

Any other thoughts of things that would causes these linking errors?

Since you don't give the link line which is causing the problem, I'd tend to assume the problem is [2]

[2] http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.linker