Re: Windows-style pathname does not work as command - why?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 02:47:57PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> No, that's not a key goal. From the Cygwin main web page:
>>>
>>> Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows
>>
>> Well, I (and my employer) would not be using Cygwin if it wasn't for
>> the Windows integration, in particular the ability to plug POSIX and
>> Windows programs together.
>>
>> If I just wanted to run Linux software on Windows, I'd use a virtual
>> machine or coLinux. While Cygwin's lower resource usage is nice to
>> have, that's easily outweighed by the inevitable compatibility and
>> performance drawbacks that come with building on top of Win32.
>
>There are allot of different reasons people choose to use Cygwin.

Correct.  And, people apparently find Cygwin useful even when their
usage does not 100% align with the stated project goals.  That does not
mean that we're going to change the goals and, given the project goals,
it certainly doesn't mean that it's a bug when a Windows-specific usage
like a MS-DOS path doesn't work in a Cygwin program.

cgf