Re: Oddities with file deletion on CIFS drive

On Sep 10 09:47, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> The files are created with a native Win32 application (Perforce),
> where it is checking these files out of the Perforce repository.
>
> Here is the output from cacls prior to +w/-w:
> build@zre-win-002 /cygdrive/z/current/WINDOWS/main/20100908131458_ZDESKTOP/ZimbraBuild/templates
> $ cacls BUILD_ISYNC_template
> Z:\current\WINDOWS\main\20100908131458_ZDESKTOP\ZimbraBuild\templates\BUILD_ISYNC_template
> Everyone:F
> <Account Domain not found>F
> <Account Domain not found>R
> Everyone:R

These permissions look very weird.

> Here is cacls after +w/-w:
> Z:\current\WINDOWS\main\20100908131458_ZDESKTOP\ZimbraBuild\templates\BUILD_ISYNC_template
> <Account Domain not found>(special access:)
>
> STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
>
> DELETE
>
> READ_CONTROL
>
> WRITE_DAC
>
> WRITE_OWNER
>
> SYNCHRONIZE
>
> STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
>
> FILE_GENERIC_READ
>
> FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
>
> FILE_READ_DATA
>
> FILE_READ_EA
>
> FILE_EXECUTE
>
> FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>
> FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
>

> <Account Domain not found>R
>
> Everyone:R

This looks better.  The fact that the accounts can't be found is
probably because it's running Samba and the drives are not real NTFS, so
the SIDs returned by Samba are the artificial SIDs generated from the
Unix uid/gid.  Btw., just because the Unix user is called "build", it's
not necessariliy the same user as the Windows user "build".  Actually,
if you don't use Samba with winbind and only use WIndows users from AD
on both machines, the accounts are different.

> Done.  I've provided strace output from both rm <FILE> and rm -f <FILE>
>
> Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

I'm not sure.  I don't think so.  The problem is that the unlink(2)
function in Cygwin does not get any error code from any of the OS
functions it calls.  So, from the Cygwin POV everything worked fine.
How is it supposed to know that anything has gone wrong, if the
underlying OS doesn't tell?

Corinna

Red Hat