Re: awk gsub problem

On 9/18/10, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep 18 11:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > Comment out the 'set LANG=" and gsub works fine:
>> > $ echo $LANG
>> > C.UTF-8
>> >
>> > $ sh /tmp/test.awk
>> > s= ::S0::  should = ::S0::
>> >
>> > $ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> >
>> > $ sh /tmp/test.awk
>> > s= ::0::  should = ::S0::
>> >
>> > So awk gsub works for me again - thank you!
>> >
>> > Just out of curiosity, why would setting LANG to en_US break
>> > case-sensitivity in gsub?
>>
>> I don't know either.  I just asked the upstream maintainer.  At least it
>> isn't a Cygwin problem, since it also behaves the same on Linux.
>
> I got reply from the upstream maintainer.  Case-sensitivity in gsub is
> not broken, rather it's really a language dependent difference.
>
> If LANG is "en_US" or "en_US.utf8", then the regular expression "[a-z]"
> does *not* correspond anymore to the ASCII codes.  Rather it corresponds
> to something like "[aAbBcCdD...zZ]", independent of the actual character
> encoding ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

Thank you - I appreciate the follow-up.

Was the reply from the upstream maintainer answered on a mailing list?
 (& if so, which one?)  I'd like to understand the problem they're
solving..  I get the idea of "[[:lower:]]" working regardless of
collating order of the current char set, but how "[a-z]" gets
translated to something like "[aAbBcCdD...zZ]" boggles my mind.  It
seems like they had to have gone out of their way to translate [a-z]
into a case-insensitive RE.

But regardless, it still seems broken to me.  From the gawk man page:

   The various command line options control how gawk interprets
characters in regular expressions.

   --traditional
      Traditional Unix awk regular expressions are matched.  The GNU
operators are not special, interval expressions are not available, and
neither are the POSIX character classes ([[:alnum:]] and so on).

The way I read it, I can change the line in my .bashrc from
  export AWK="/usr/bin/gawk.exe"
  export AWK="/usr/bin/gawk.exe --traditional"
and not have to change any scripts that use $AWK.  If "--traditional"
meant one no longer was able to do a case-sensitive RE ("[a-z]" gets
translated into "[aAbB...zZ]" and "[[:lower:]]" isn't interpreted as a
lower case character RE) I'd expect that to be high-lighted in the man
page.  But like I said in my initial msg, --traditional doesn't fix
the problem:

$ cat test.awk
awk --traditional '
BEGIN {
  s="Serial0"
  gsub("[a-z]","",s)
  printf("s= ::%s::  should = ::S0::\n", s)
  exit
} '

$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

$ sh test.awk
s= ::0::  should = ::S0::

> What you really want is this:
s/really want/have to do/

>   BEGIN {
>     s="Serial0"
>     gsub("[[:lower:]]","",s)
>     printf("s= ::%s::  should = ::S0::\n", s)
>     exit
>   }
>
> The "[[:lower:]]" expression always catches all valid lowercase letters,
> independent of the langauge, territory, and charset used.

At least for the short term, my work-around is not setting LANG.

Thanks again,
Lee