Re: Cygwin instabilities

2010/9/13 Al wanted stability stories:
> I run Cygwin on a double core machine with Vista. I estimate that 1 of
> 20 of my compilations break and need to be repeated. One weak point is
> the compression of man pages.

I routinely run my perl compiler smokes on cygwin and linux machines.
This involves automatic updates, failures which cause core dumps,
100%CPU or eating all available memory.

cygwin (better Windows) is more stable than linux in this regard.
I should really tune my ulimits on my linux but out of the box my linux
box becomes unusable at certain tests. With cygwin not.
Cygwin is just about 3x slower, and processes keep locking certain
files. Why not.

> Others report that they don't use Cygwin because of instablilities,
> especially in the server context.

Okay. While I'm running my nightly destructive smokes I also serve
content for various projects. My linux laptop started with issues
(heat or SW?) during night
while people were up- and downloading via sftp, so I fell back to my cygwin
box, and since then I kept running this cygwin server instead. Much
more stable than my
linux box so far. Of course that's most likely a HW issue, but cygwin
was stable enough and better.

For example I run vlc sessions (publicly broadcasting football games
from brazil here
in my town) with the cygwin perl testing sessions and cygwin stfp
uploading in the background,
and linux is not really as fast and stable in vlc client response as I
with my windows box.

> What are the reasons? Will this be better with Windows 7? Can Cygwin
> become "server stable"?

Windows 7 was not better for me. More system DLL's and footprint, much
more rebase problems.
Sometimes I can only stop MSIE and MS Outlook to continue to work in
my mintty shells.

"Server stable" in ISP terms of course not. It's still just Windows,
with all its known weaknesses.
But ISP's are still selling and using windows servers.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/? ? ? ? ?? http://murbreak.at/