cygwin perl not working on my new x64 pc

Hi,

I have a new PC at work, a 64-bit Dell T3500 with Windows XP Pro x64
Edition 2003 with svc pack 2.

After running the cygwin install, the problem is that when I run a perl
script in a cygwin bash shell, or just fire up perl.exe, it just returns
instantly without doing anything or reporting a problem. For grins,
though, I launched a dos window and tried to run perl.exe there, and a
msg box pops up saying cygcrypt-0.dll was not found (if that's the
problem what do I do to fix it?)

FYI I ran the install by
1)	Saving setup.exe from cygwin.com in my new PC
2)	Running setup.exe for a network install, selecting c:\cygwin and
ftp cygwin.mirrors.pair.com
3)	Changing from "Default" to "Install" the following: Base, Devel,
Editors, Interpreters, Libs, Perl, Python, Shells, System, X11
4)	Checking OK for any dependencies it wanted

After the install completed, I fired up a Cygwin bash shell window and
it all seems to work except for Perl - it just instantly returns to the
cmd prompt. Other things work though. For example, there is no problem
with starting and using the python interpreter; I can use vi to write a
helloworld.c program which compiles and runs OK; the various unix
commands like ls, mkdir, grep all seem OK.

I've tried reinstalling the perl package, uninstalling and installing
perl, uninstalling all and reinstalling, using other mirrors, but it
always ends up the same. The windows firewall is turned off during the
install.

Is there some incompatibility with x64? Have you heard of this problem
happening? Help!

Thanks,
Bart Koestner
Honeywell, Inc