Re: diff issue

>>> Let's say I have two versions of the same batch file:
>>> The old version from CVS:

>>> The new version I've imported to Subversion:

>>> When I'm comparing them with my usual macro
>>> diff -bdu -x "CVS" -x ".svn" -I "\$Id.*\$" -I "\$Revision.*\$" -I
>>> "\$Date.*\$" -I "\$Author.*\$" --strip-trailing-cr -- '1/backup.bat'
>>> 'backup.bat'
>>>
>>> It telling me that $Id$ lines are differ.
>>> But when I remove the "@echo off" from second file, it telling me
>>> that files are "identical" (the expected result).
>>>
>>> Having hard times dechiphering man diff, so if anyone can enlighten
>>> me in simple words on the matter, I'd appreciate help greatly.
>
>> Be sure the end of line characters are correct on the "@echo" line.  You
>> should be able to do this with a "cat -vTE" command.
>
> They are "correct" for windows batch fine (CRLF) and consistent for both
> files.  However, changing line endings didn't changed the end result. I'm leaning
> towards diff specifics in treatment of ignored lines in scope of actually
> changed lines.
>
> :) If my English was the same as your Russian, accept my deepest apology.

Your English is fine.  I used Google translate to try and make my response easier for you.  I guess that didn't happen, so
the fault is mine.

Try changing the "@echo" line to something else and see if you still get the same results.  Also try removing some of the -I
cases and see if that makes a difference in the results.  This could lead you to the answer if one of the patterns is causing
the problem.  Lastly do you need to use the "-x PATtern" exclusion options?  You are already specifying the two files to diff
so you shouldn't need these options.

I'm not sure what the "--" argument is used for (before the file names) though.  I would also try naming the directory in the
"1/backup.bat" argument something other than "1".