Re: Re[2]: Slow fork issue - Win x64

Reini Urban wrote:

> And native linux 64-bit bash has these:
>
> rurban@deblap:~$ while (true); do date; done | uniq -c
>     228 Mon Okt 11 20:12:51 CEST 2010
>     250 Mon Okt 11 20:12:52 CEST 2010
>     221 Mon Okt 11 20:12:53 CEST 2010
>     200 Mon Okt 11 20:12:54 CEST 2010
>     183 Mon Okt 11 20:12:55 CEST 2010

True.  On the same MacBook where I get counts of about 80 with my csh under
Win7, I get counts of about 150 to 200 (sometimes higher) with bash under
OSX.

Threads are very cheap under Windows but process creation is quite a bit
more expensive than under Unix or Linux.  This is part of why you're getting
hammered so badly emulating fork (in addition to obvious problems of not
having access to the page tables, which will get worse with the larger
images of 64-bit applications.)  Your own application code runs at whatever
the processor speed is.  But the OS underneath will reward or penalize you
with its own performance characteristics, depending on how you use it.

Regards,
Nicole