Re: Python: subprocess running rsync causes broken socket in telnetlib

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:26, David Antliff <david.antliff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:19, David Antliff wrote:
>> Then the script uses subprocess to do something else (the line is
>> actually longer than this but I've simplified it to the most basic
>> version that exhibits the problem):
>>
>> ? ?process = subprocess.Popen("rsync", stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
>

> FWIW, this function also exhibits the same problem:
>
> ? ?subprocess.call("rsync")

As does:

    os.system("rsync")

And wrapping up rsync inside another script and calling that script
also doesn't work around the problem either. This is a bit concerning
as it means rewriting my scripts to avoid mixing the use of rsync with
telnet, on Cygwin.

Does anyone have any ideas why 'rsync' is special in this case? How
can it affect an existing filehandle in a parent process? Isn't that a
violation of process separation?

-- David.