Re: Question about cygwin + rsync and file permissions

On 2010-09-16 Saxon, Will wrote:
I am trying to copy files from a Linux machine to Windows using rsync. I am using rsync 3.0.7 and cygwin 1.7.5.

The source files on the linux machine are all owned by root:root with mode 0755. When I copy them with the following command:

rsync -clrtv --chmod=ugo=rwX rsync://<user>@linux/path/to/files /cygdrive/d/path/to/destination

I get the files, but the user who performs the copy ends up with strange permissions on them. There are two 'special' permissions entries, one with a list of denied permissions and the other with a list of permitted ones.

Denied permissions:
Traverse Folder / Execute File
List Folder / Read Data
Read Extended Attributes
Create Files / Write Data
Create Folders / Append Data
Write Extended Attributes

Workaround: Add -p, --perms option to rsync command.

Analysis and patch (no reply so far):

-- Christian Franke