Re: cygpath -w for non-existent server

Hi Andy,

On Dec  4 16:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec  4 06:35, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > With non-existent server foo, and Cygwin 1.7.7 or the latest 1.7.8 snapshot:
> >
> > $ cygpath -w //foo/bar
> > \\foo\bar
> >
> > $ cygpath -w //foo
> > cygpath: error converting "//foo" - No such file or directory
> >
> > Is that as intended?
> >
> > Also, both only return after a few seconds delay, so I assume they
> > trigger network accesses. Is that necessary?
>
> Probably yes, due to the way SMB works.  The "No such file or directory"
> seems wrong though.  I'll investigate next week.

Done.  The behaviour is perfectly valid.

- "//foo/bar" requires to access the path, which in turn triggers an SMB
  request on the wire.  This takes a couple of seconds within Windows
  itself, even if the DNS request returns immediately that the server
  doesn't exist.  NetBIOS?  Anyway, there's nothing Cygwin can do about
  it.

- "//foo" is a virtual path, valid only in Cygwin.  You can't access
  "\\foo" in the Win32 API using file or directory access functions.  It
  just doesn't exist as a path.  UNC paths are only valid with at least
  two path components as in "\\server\share".  Since "//foo" is a
  virtual path, there's no Win32 equivalent.  So, from the Windows
  perspective there's "No such file or directory".

Corinna

Red Hat