Re: Strange fstatat / stat behavour on directories causing tar "file changed as we read it" error

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"

Here it takes about 2 - 5mins for what ever is causing the 0 size after a
find to start to happen. Prior to that after the find all dirs show 8192 for
size in an ls.

Ah, that's interesting. I see no such time-lag here.

Just to be 100% clear the pattern I see is:- 1. ls -l gives some dirs in testdir as 0 size 2. Run: find testdir 3. ls -l reports all dirs in testdir as 8192 size 4. wait 30 seconds 5. ls -l reports all dirs in testdir as 8192 size 6. wait another minute or so 7. ls -l reports some dirs in testdir as 8192 size and some as 0

But of course I'm working in an empty directory.  I'm also going to guess
that you're mounting your directory with the 'noacl' option.  If that's true,
you might try removing that option to see if it makes any difference.

From what I've seen it needs subdirs / files to cause the strangeness.

Don't think we are using noacl at least mount doesn't show it:- C:/testdir on /usr/local/testdir type ntfs (binary)

/etc/fstab shows:-
c:/testdir /usr/local/testdir ntfs binary,auto 0 0

   Regards
   Steve