Re: Proper Setting of mkpasswd and mkgroup

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:55:09AM -0700, Gary Furash wrote:
> Problem:
> 1. When I create a file or such using cygwin, it says that the group is
> "mkpasswd". This usually indicates that the Cygwin profile I'm logged on is
> not setup properly
> 2. My work PC is part of a windows group. That same account is also a PC
> administrator.
> 3. My home PC is not part of a windows group. That same account is also a PC
> administrator.
>
> What's the proper combination of MKPASSWD and MKGROUP commands to run? The
> latter can "see" the windows group mentioned in step #2. I've even tried
> manually hacking the password file so that FURASHG (my account) has the same
> number string after it that is after the number string in MKGROUP associated
> with the local PC administrator.

Backup both files first (/etc/passwd and /etc/group).
Try to rebuild your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files by issuing:

$ mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
$ mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group

Please refer to the manpages of mkpasswd and mkgroup regarding the use
of -d/-D for machines inside a Domain.

There are also detailed instructions in /etc/profile on how to deal
with this.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B  D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB