Re: cygpath unable to translate the *nix path to an NTFS junction point

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > This leaves cygpath completely unable to translate the original path
> > of an NTFS junction.  This is proving to be a problem for me (I'm
> > trying to use the output of cygpath for the equivalent of a backtick
> > operation in another script...)
>
> Sorry if I don't get your problem.  The resulting path is correct, isn't
> it?  Cygwin handles junction points as symlinks.

This is the problem. Junction points aren't really like symlinks;
they're much more transparent (more hard-like) in the Windows ecosystem,
as very little software is designed to understand them. Junctions are,
however, often used to allocate space from some drives to subtrees in
other drives. This is normally completely transparent; but Cygwin
reading junctions as symlinks breaks it.

I'm currently using a rewritten cygpath just to get around this problem.
My cygpath just uses actual symlinks (created with ln -s or similar) and
mount points to do the conversion, and disregards junctions.

-- Barry

--
http://blog.barrkel.com/