Re: [Bug] Named Pipes (FIFO) / Bash

On 01/22/2011 01:57 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> I'm having problems with some bash scripts that were developed (not be
> me) and working OK in Cygwin 1.6.x versions, but not in 1.7.x (tested on
> 1.7.6, 1.7.7 and the latest snapshot).  After some gnashing of teeth and
> pulling of hair I've whittled it down to a problem with named pipe
> handling in bash.

Not just in bash, but in cygwin in general.  Named pipes are still an
incomplete implementation, and until patches are written to get it
working more like posix, you can't expect them to work reliably.

> I'd be grateful for any insights and/or ideas for possible workarounds.

Sorry, I don't have any.  Autoconf is another client that would love to
use named pipes (for parallel testsuites), but which can't do so until
cygwin's implementation is completed.