Re: "file" command missing magic file (problem and solution)

On Feb  2 21:16, Andy Sun wrote:
> Apparently, somewhere between version 4.xx and 5.xx, the magic file
> which used to be /usr/share/file/magic (all my Unix life I knew
> magic as an ASCII text file), has now become a directory
> /usr/share/misc/magic/ with many small files for ease of
> maintenance. It also happens that this directory "magic" is NOT part
> of the binary distribution (you only get /usr/bin/file.exe, man page
> and /usr/share/misc/magic.mgc). After I copied the entire magic
> directory from the source distribution to /use/share/misc, "file -C"
> works fine and recreated magic.mgc no problem.
>
> It would be nice if future binaries distribution of CYGWIN will
> include the directory /usr/share/misc/magic and all the files within
> it.

Thanks for the heads up.  I didn't notice this because `make install'
neither installs a magic file nor a magic directory, only the compiled
magic.mgc file.  I just uploaded the new file-5.05-1 package which
provides a magic file again, the same way as on Fedora.

Corinna

Red Hat