1.7.7: Postgresql 8.2: no postgres user

I installed PostgreSQL 8.2.

I want to run PostgreSQL as a service.  Usually I would expect that the
user 'postgres' was created by the package installation.  However, after
installing PostgreSQL 8.2 in Cygwin I find no user 'postgres' on the system:

    bash-4.1$ grep postgres /etc/passwd
    bash-4.1$

So should there have been a 'postgres' user created by the installation?

If not, what are the procedures to setting up PostgreSQL with a server
process user and then running it as a service?

Regards,
Gerry