Re: 1.7.7: Windows 2003 R2 WOW64: Cygwin installation fails

On 02/10/2011 09:00 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 02/10/2011 08:16 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> After having so much difficulty post-upgrade Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7 on my
>> Windows 2003 R2 WOW64 machine:
>>
>>     I prepared a fresh installation of Windows 2003 R2 WOW64 and
>> installed Cygwin 1.7.7 using setup.exe from the cygwin.com site.
>>
>>     Conclusion: A fresh install of Cygwin 1.7.7 FAILS on Windows 2003 R2
>> WOW64.
>>

>> There are numerous postinstall failures:
>>
>>     Package: base-cygwin
>>             000-cygwin-post-install.sh exit code 128
>>     Package: coreutils
>>             coreutils.sh exit code 1
>>     Package: terminfo
>>             terminfo.sh exit code 35584
>>     Package: bash
>>             bash.sh exit code 128
>>     Package: terminfo0
>>             terminfo0.sh exit code 128
>>     Package: base-files
>>             base-files-profile.sh exit code 128
>>             base-files-mketc.sh exit code 128
>>     Package: man
>>             man.sh exit code 128
>>

>> The bash login shell fails:
>>
>>     bash-4.1# echo $PATH
>>     /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wb
>>     em:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SQL Server/90/Tools/binn/
>>     bash-4.1#
>>

>> No PATH is set.
>>
>>     bash-4.1# /usr/bin/cat /etc/profile
>>     /usr/bin/cat: /etc/profile: No such file or directory
>>

>> No system-wide profile.
>>

>> I've attached a cygcheck.out.
>>
>> Please let me know if you would like anymore information.  I'll keep
>> this machine around as is for a few days if it will help.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Gerry
>>

> I went and cleared out everything and started over but first moving the
> DEP setting from All to Windows-only.
>
> This time the Cygwin installation completed without postinstall errors
> and the bash login shell is working.
>
>     What I think would be good is for Cygwin setup to detect and warn
>     about the DEP setting on Windows 2003 / Windows 2008.
>

> What happened in my case was that I originally had a good installation
> of Cygwin 1.5 on Windows 2003 that apparently worked fine with DEP in
> the restrictive setting.  It was only after I upgraded it to Cygwin 1.7
> that problems appeared.
>
> I'm now going to try a Cygwin reinstall on my original machine after
> changing the DEP setting to see if the 1.7 upgrade installation can be
> fixed.

I changed the DEP setting but in trying to reinstall the original
upgraded installation, it gets into a vicious loop of:

    Package file libgcc1 has a corrupt local copy, please remove and retry.
        And
    Package file libssp0 has a corrupt local copy, please remove and retry.
        And
    Package file libstc++6 has a corrupt local copy, please remove and
    retry.

I seem to be able to fix one at a time but not all.  Still trying.

Ok, I finally got it all to reinstall but the installation is still
broken.  Same problems.  Failed postinstalls, "Bad address" errors and
no bash login shell.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how to fix this installation?  The
fallback of course is to wipe Cygwin off and do a complete new
installation but I'm trying to avoid that if possible with all the
configs I've made.

Regards,
Gerry