Re: Preremove/postinstall scripts fail with snapshot installed

On Feb 12 17:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 12 10:31, Ken Brown wrote:
> > I just did a system restore to undo the last round of Windows
> > updates, and the problem went away.  I'm not sure where to go from
> > here.
>
> You're right, I can reproduce it on W7 32 and 64 bit.
> [...]
> So this problem occurs on Windows 7 and perhaps Vista only with recent
> Cygwin snapshots or current CVS, only with the latest security updates
> installed and, for some reason, only when calling postinstall scripts
> from setup.exe.  Calling the same scripts from an interactive bash works
> fine.
>
> The 2010-10-18 snapshot is the snapshot which reintroduced the ability
> to remove in-use directories by accessing an undocumented structure in
> Vista/Windows 7.  Looks like MSFT had to change something which breaks
> an application using this structure in a very specifc scenario, which is
> unfortunately exposed by running bash from setup.exe :-(
>
> By installing the security updates again, one by one, I figure out
> that it is the security update connected to KB 2393802 which triggers
> the problem.
>
> But, be it as it is, it doesn't make sense to ask people not to install
> the security updates, so I fear it's "back to the drawing board" for
> Cygwin.  Sigh.

Just FYI, I have a working workaround.  It's not exactly how I would
like to handle this stuff, but at least we know there *is* a solution
which still maintains the desired ability to delete an in-use directory.

Stay tuned.

Corinna

Red Hat