Re: Spurious "Connection reset by peer" problems anybody?

On Feb 21 09:54, Ken Brown wrote:
> >On Feb 21 15:01, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>I spoke too soon. [...]
> >
> >Er... btw., is the situation something which is local to your
> >environment or is it something which can be easily reproduced?
>
> The short answer is that it wouldn't be easy.  Here are the details:
>
> I keep a local mirror of the emacs bzr repository.  I connect to the
> repository via bzr+ssh.  Every few days I refresh my mirror with
> 'bzr up'.  When I do this from work, where I have a fast ethernet
> connection, there's no problem.  When I do it from home, where I
> connect to the internet via a wireless router, it often fails with
> the "Software caused connection abort" message.  I keep retrying and
> eventually it works. Sometimes it takes 10 tries, other times it
> works on the first try.
>
> I've had similar problems in the past when using rsync to maintain a
> local mirror of the texlive repository.  In that case I think the
> error message was always "Connection reset by peer".  Once again,
> the problem only occurred when working from home.
>
> I've always assumed that there was some issue with my home network
> setup or my ISP, but I had no idea how to track it down.  It never
> occurred to me that it could be a Cygwin/Windows problem.

The problem is that this is not necessarily a Cygwin/Windows problem.
It's just possible that Windows plays a role here.

As far as this problem goes, it would only occur at the end of a
connection, when close() is called on the socket on the Windows side.
The error message would occur on the peer side, independent of the OS
it's running on.  If the connection just breaks at some arbitary point,
it's almost surely not the problem I'm talking about.

Corinna

Red Hat