Re: How to setup cygwin to use always textmode

Eric Blake <eblake <at> redhat.com> writes:

> On 03/18/2011 10:00 AM, ralf wrote:
> >
> > During setup of cygwin you could choose between UNIX ending und DOS ending.
>
> Which was a bug in the GUI for offering it in the first place, because
> it basically set the text-mode mount flag on every single directory,
> including /bin, which is counterproductive.
>
> But you didn't need the setup.exe radio button to get the same effect,
> instead, just change your mounts manually (/etc/fstab) to set the
> text-mode mount flag on the subset of directories where it matters to you.

In releases with this radio button files with windows filenames were opened as
text-files like files which were on a filesystem with text-mode mount flag. Now
they are always opened as binary files. I have no chance to open a file with
windows-filename as text-file. This "feature" (open-mode of files with
windows-filenames) has been lost, or do I misunderstand something?

> > And how can I get bash to write always CR? Adding \r to each echo,cat,awk?
> > Only finding the places where this is necessary will take weeks.
>
> That's why we don't recommend text-mode mounts for cygwin-owned
> directories.  dos2unix can also do some smart conversions (it has smarts
> to avoid corrupting binary files while still converting text files).

So your advice is to recode all scipts. Is that right?