Re: Bash: Cannot execute binary file

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 06:27:57PM -0700, independentt wrote:

>Ok here is my problem I used to be able to run bIRCD on a shell before. But
>now first time I try cygwin, I WGET
>http://ircd.bircd.org/bewareircd-linux.tar.gz and unzip it, edit the config
>files. And now I try to execute it using (.) ./BIRCD and it says BASH:
>Cannot execute binary file. I have full access to the file and when I type
>file bircd it says ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
>(GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped.

If you go to http://cygwin.com/ and look under "...isn't it?"  you'll see:

Cygwin is not:

	* a way to run native Linux apps on Windows.  You must rebuild your
	application from source if you want it to run on Windows.

If file says "ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386 version 1
(GNU/Linux)", it means it's a Linux file.  That means that you have to
build a Cygwin/Windows version of bircd.  What you have is not a Cygwin
version.

cgf