Cygwin 1.7.8 on Windows 7 Pro x64 Doesn't See Programs Added to C:\Windows\System32 Directory

Greetings,

I recently loaded Windows 7 Pro x64 on my laptop, and installed Cygwin
1.7.8.  I run a (GCC Compiled) backup program that calls diskshadow.exe --
which I added to the C:\Windows\System32 directory.  The program faults
because the shell call can't find the program.

The Path variable is set with C:\Windows\System32 as the first entry, and
there are no errors.  I've started new command prompts each time I edited
the Windows PATH variable, and even tried rebooting.

Opening an elevated command prompt, windows finds the program just fine from
the path variable.  Running Bash, the which command doesn't find
diskshadow.exe, even though it is there (in C:\Windows\System32).

While still in the bash window (from an elevated command prompt), If I cd to
/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32 and do "ls -la disk*", it finds other disk
programs such as diskpart.exe, but not diskshadow.exe, even though I know it
is there!  This is also true of libcurl-3.dll that I added to
C:\Windows\System32.    Windows sees it fine, but not bash.

I have been reading documentation and googling till I can't see straight.

Can anyone please help me understand what is happening?

Thanks in advance!
Leon