Re: windows cmd for ./configure

You don't do ./configure in cmd.exe.  You want to start a shell, like
bash.  cmd doesn't understand forward slashes and does not use . as a
part of commands standing for the current directory.
Cygwin should put a little shortcut in your start menu for "Cygwin
bash shell."  There are other ways to start it, but that is probably
easiest for you.  Once you are there you can navigate to the directory
where you unpacked the code you want to compile and you can do
./configure there, assuming the program you are compiling included a
"configure" script (ls will show you this), which they generally do.