Re: OpenSSH: 5791 [main] sshd 9288! spawn_guts: CreateDesktop failed, Win32 error 8

On Jun 15 07:11, roadworrier wrote:

> I saw this problem "spawn_guts: CreateDesktop failed, Win32 error 8" listed
> in many Google results with some suggestions but without any conclusive
> solutions.
>
> My 2003 Server has 16gb of RAM, and only about 10gb were in use, so the
> issue wasn't a lack of RAM. However, I went and quit some programs that use
> many USER and GDI objects (Photoshop, Illustrator, TOAD (and Parallels for
> good measure)) and then I was able to ssh in to my server without making any
> changes to cygwin configuration, and without restarting sshd or anything.
>
> - Stefan
>

> Carsten.Porzler wrote:
> >
> > Dear Cygwin community,
> >
> > unfortunately we got on some of our Windows 2003 servers this error
> > message while logging on by using OpenSSH
> >
> >    5791 [main] sshd 9288! spawn_guts: CreateDesktop failed, Win32 error 8
> >
> > This error message occurs after the server has been rebooted.
> >
> > If log on once at the Windows console as a user with local admin
> > privileges, also the SSH logon works again.
> >
> > We are using Cygwin CYGWIN_NT-5.2 d20of001 1.7.0(0.200/5/3) 2009-02-20
> > 17:20 i686 Cygwin and OpenSSH 5.1.
> >
> > Does anybody know the reason for this failure?

That's probably related to the maximum size of the system heap.  Have a
look into the "Remarks" section in the MSDN man page of CreateDesktop:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682124%28VS.85%29.aspx

It explains the registry setting which can be changed to raise the
system heap size.  For services the third value of the SharedSection
option is relevant.

Corinna

Red Hat