Re: automated cygwin install

On 2011-09-09 09:52, Andrew Schulman wrote:
In a new installation, we have to write an (ugh) MSDOS CMD script, since bash isn't available.  One
way around that would be to install just the base, then run a bash script, but I decided to bite the
bullet and write a CMD script that would do it all in one go.

Here's what mine looks like:

setup.exe ^
--no-shortcuts ^
--quiet-mode ^
--disable-buggy-antivirus ^
--packages ^
aria2,^
atool,^
autoconf,^
automake,^
autossh,^

and so on. Two things to notice:

* The caret (^) character at the end of every line is CMD's line continuation character.  (Maybe you
already knew that, but not being very experienced with CMD, I had to look around to find it out.)

* The list of package names is comma-delimited.  This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere in the
setup help, but the --packages option expects a comma-delimited list of package names.  If you
space-delimit them, only the first one will be installed and the rest will be ignored.

Nirvana.  A one-click new Cygwin installation, with all of my favorite packages.  I hope it's useful
to others.

I did something similar a few weeks ago but the trouble I had with running in either semi-unattended or fully unattended mode; there is no initial progress display before it starts to parse the .ini file(s). Since I'm running this from a shortcut, on a network drive, it sits with no indication (at all) that you even correctly double-clicked for between 5 and 10 seconds. People get frustrated and think they didn't properly launch it and try it again, and again, and again only to have 4 or 5 windows eventually pop up.

I wish there was a way to get setup to show *something*, anything (even just a splash screen) during a semi-unattended mode before it shows the .ini parsing progress -- to reassure the user that something is happening.