Re: setup hanging when running postinstall scripts

I am having the same issue as Paul (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-11/msg00170.html), but I have already tried rebaseall and I have nothing on the BLODA list.

System is:
Windows XP 32 bit (with SP3 and all updates)
Cygwin Version: 1.7.9-1

In fact, I stripped my system down until I literally have almost nothing extra running period- but I still get the same issue.  When I try to use setup.exe to manage dmalloc- it gives me exit code 254 for every single postinstall script (after taking forever to complete each one).  It doesn't matter if I am installing it, re-installing it, or uninstalling it- the setup always fails.

The problems in the setup.log.full are noted as such:

For: etc/postistall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh
bash (some number) C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe *** fatal error - Couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487

For 000-cygwin-post-install.sh and all other post-install scripts afterward:
bash (some number) fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11 (path of the script here): fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
bash (some number) C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe *** fatal error - Couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487, base 0x4E0000, top 0x550000, reserve_size 454656, allocsize 458752, page_const 4096

At this point, I literally have no idea why these things should be failing but I am wondering if there is some issue with the setup system itself.  I previously had a copy of Cygwin 1.5 on this machine and it never had any issues.

When cleaned out that copy and installed 1.7 I recall that it was working okay, but I had a few packages that had some issues with their post-install scripts when I tried to use setup to manage my installation (so ultimately, I just decided to forgo those packages).

However, I do actually need dmalloc.  Hence I am wondering what the heck the problem is.  Here was the list of programs running on the machine on my last attempt to run setup.exe, following a full rebaseall in ash:

smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
wmiprvse.exe
alg.exe
lsass.exe
explorer.exe
ctfmon.exe
svchost.exe
- DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
- RpcSs
svchost.exe
- Automatic Updates
- BITS
- Com+ Event Manager
- Computer Browser
- Cyptographic Services
- DHCP Client
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- Error Reporting Service
- Help and Support
- HID
- Network Connections
- NLA
- Remote Access Manager
- Secondary Login
- Security Center
- Server
- Shell Hardware Manager
- System Event Notification
- Task Scheduler
- Telephony
- Themes
- Windows Audio
- Windows Firewall
- WMI
- Windows Time
- Wireless Zero Configuration
- Workstation
svchost.exe
- DNSCache
svchost.exe
- Remote Registry
- SSDP Discovery Service
- TCP/IP NetBIOS LMHosts
svchost.exe
- Webclient
svchost.exe
- Windows Image Acquisition (WMA)
svchost.exe
- HTTP SSL

So that's everything- all the programs and services running.  Nothing BLODA to my knowledge.  Heck, if anything there WAS BLODA that should mean that cygwin should learn to play nicely with it- all of this stuff is basic WinXP services and programs.  So hence... why?  What else could be causing this issue?