Re: cygwin started speaking German today

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 14:23 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> I think you're mixing two questions that should be kept separate.  The
> first is how /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh} should set LANG.  That's a
> question that the Cygwin developers and/or base-files maintainer need to
> decide.

Agreed.  There are pros and cons both ways, and I'll leave that for
another message.

> The second is whether libintl should override Cygwin's locale
> settings.  Isn't the answer clearly no?  Why can't this be fixed (in
> opposition to Bruno, if necessary) before a final decision is made about
> /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh}?

Agreed.  Cygwin is a *NIX platform, and libintl needs to respect that by
not trying to set or override LANG/LC_MESSAGES.  Upstream's disagreement
with this point is completely irrelevant; it is simply not their place
to dictate to us how our platform should operate.  While it would seem
that it means carrying a patch for the foreseeable future (not that
gettext releases that often), if upstream refuses to cooperate then I
don't see that we have much of a choice.

You are also correct that this can and should be fixed ASAP, even before
the first point is decided.  +1 for patching this now.

Yaakov