How does setup.exe cope with upgrading of already installed packages if there exist modification in installed files?

How does setup.exe cope with upgrading of already installed packages if
there exist modification in installed files?

I customize HG templates under:

/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mercurial/templates/gitweb/*

and would like preserve it when update happen.

And it will be good to be notified if conflict happen.

Also I try:

  $ cygcheck -c mercurial
  Cygwin Package Information
  Package              Version        Status
  mercurial            1.9.2-1        OK

when I try:

$ mv /lib/python2.6/site-packages/mercurial/templates/gitweb/branches.tmpl /lib/python2.6/site-packages/mercurial/templates/gitweb/branches~.tmpl
$ cygcheck -c mercurial
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
mercurial 1.9.2-1 Incomplete

So "cygcheck -c" does not provide ability to find modification to
package files.

Also I worry about modification in other config files in /etc
(like /etc/apache2/httpd.conf). Are they overwritten on package update?

How can I be notified about upgrade conflicts?

What for '/etc/defaults' hierarchy was used?