Re: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

On Oct 21 10:16, gds wrote:
> >On Oct 21 12:15, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:

> >>So from the reply below I take it hasn't been fixed/worked
> >>around in a snapshot.  But my experiments show something has
> >
> >Wrong.  It has been fixed in the snapshot.  1.7.9 tries to open the file
> >with WRITE_DAC access which fails on some shares.  The snapshots won't
> >do that anymore.

> >>In my case that it true, chmod fails.
>
> For me chmod *appears* to work (no errors on cmd line) but file
> permissions seen in "ls -l" don't change nor do they change in
> windows.

This is *with* using the "noacl" mount option, isn't it?  Without
the "noacl" option you should get a "Permission denied" on chmod.

> Also, in
> windows, I can't change any of my access rights; under file
> properties/security under "allow" all are checked except Full
> Control and Special permissions, none checked under "Deny" and all
> check marks are gray so I can't change them there either. Anyone can
> create, modify or delete any file, but no one can hide or
> write-protect any file (which would require changing
> permission/access rights).
>
> AFAIK, this is how it has always been on this share. If this
> assumption is correct, does that mean something changed in cygwin
> that is causing this possible bug?

I explained that in this thread.  WRITE_DAC vs. not WRITE_DAC.

> >Then "noacl' is the only way for you.
>
> Yes, no snapshot cygwin1.dll helped. Went back to default. Now have
> only this in /etc/fstab:
>
> O: /my-o-drive	dontcare binary,noacl 0 0
>
> So now access drive with /my-o-drive instead of /cygdrive/o

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be in your situation.

Corinna

Red Hat