cannot execute binary file

I've built from source (gfortran) an application that won't run (cannot
execute binary file) and the "file" command prompts: PE32 executable
(console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows. (Yes, chmod 755 is set for the
executable...)

Funny thing is that I did the same build on a different machine with
sucess. Obviously there are differences between those machines, but I
can't think of what makes the difference here. Well, there is one major
difference: the Cygwin istallation on the sucessfull one is owned an run
as admin. On the other machine the Cygwin installation is non-admin, and
I even renamed the setup file to avoid the question of installation
permissions.

Could the non-successful build be affected by the non-admin
installation?

Are there any debug options here?

Cheers,
KÃre