cygwin on virtual box vm

I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin installed.

When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.

Any other command I type is freakishly slow. How do I get this to run faster under a vm environment.

I am not sure why it is taking so long to do a simple ls or mkdir or any other command.

Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.