Re: Copying HDD to another HDD

On 11/6/2011 10:35 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 09:19:52AM -0500, LMH wrote:
I think you want to use a disk clone to do this, something like the
clonezilla live CD. As long as the drives are the same size, or the target
drive is larger, clonezilla will just copy one drive to the other. It does
a bit by bit clone, so it doesn't care about files and permissions and
such.

Unfortunately the original is larger.

Even if you could copy with cp, you need the boot sector and such to get
the OS up, so that wouldn't work.
[snip snip]
An interesting thought just came to mind.  If I can get all of the XP stuff
copied over and get it to boot and finish the XP upgrade, I can then copy
over the remainder of the files for all of the other stuff, as I'll now have
the permissions I need.

Some random notes. fsarchiver also allows for flexibility on size. But I have mostly used partimage from systemrescuecd in practice for the bootable partition, for: (a) moving from IDE to SATA, (b) moving from SATA to a larger SATA, and (c) restoring older partition image due to flakey 780G support in new ATI drivers.

Restoring using partimage onto a larger partition area gives a partition of the old size, which can then be expanded using gparted. gparted can shrink NTFS too, I think, but I have never used it since I size boot partitions rather small.

IIRC, I moved cygwin folders by cutting-and-pasting folders while both drives are installed. Since I use the traditional simple security scheme, I cannot say for sure whether any of the above will work in all cases.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)