[SOLVED] Re: What updates done after October 3 may affect gfortran built binaries?

On 09/11/2011 12:15, Edvardsen KÃre wrote:
> This is again related to the failure of execution of a gfortran built
> binary ("cannot execute binary", see thread
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-11/msg00034.html )
>
> In short, the main problem is that I can't build a successful binary
> from the FLEXPART fortran code

  I helped Edvardsen to track this down off-list.  It turns out that FLEXPART
is one of those huge number-crunching Fortran programs that's just jam-packed
with ginormous multi-dimensional arrays.  The final linked executable had 3.38
GB of .bss space!  So, it's not too surprising that it didn't load on 32-bit
Windows; and it's not, as I was worrying, any explicit bug in the compiler or
binutils (although it may be arguable that ld could be helpful if it issued
some kind of warning in these circumstances).

    cheers,
      DaveK