Re: make with g++

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Fitzy  wrote:
> ?Alright so I'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything linux related.
>
> And so I cannot figure out how make is supposed to work under cygwin,
> even creating the simplest makefile produces
>
> "Error: 'g++' not found"

Did you actually run make? Was this the *exact message* you received?
This is the error I get when I try to run a bogus program from make:

make: g+++: Command not found

Note that the makefile fragment you provided looks suspicious: it
appears to contain seven spaces as the indentation of the g++ line,
although I suspect it might have been mangled by gmail, otherwise you
would have gotten a different error message from make.

> ?Which doesn't make much sense to me, given that I can run g++ from
> the cygwin command line just fine..
(snip)
> ?So are all the tutorials wrong online, or does my make just not work
> correctly?

It's more likely that you made a mistake somewhere or your Cygwin
environment is not set up correctly. To help us diagnose the latter,
please follow:

> Problem reports: ? ? ? http://cygwin.com/problems.html

, especially http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html#cygcheck

This will help us to understand what your Cygwin environment contains
and how it's set up.

Just for curiosity, try changing your makefile to the following and
running make:

all:
       which g++
       g++ main.cpp -o test