Re: Symlinks and sharing a home directory between Windows and Linux

On 12/15/2011 07:40 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
I'm having difficulty seeing how what you have described could work unless the consumers of these files are looking for symlinks only, which your example above contradicts. And both of the ".bashrc" files are registering as plain files, so I think you're right that the file system on which they reside is coming into play, assuming the output above is from Cygwin's 'ls'. But even if you had ".bashrc" and ".bashrc.lnk" with the former being a UNIX-form of symlink and the latter being the Cygwin one, I'd still expect Cygwin to recognize ".bashrc" first and only go looking for the .lnk version if it couldn't find that.
I would think that Cygwin should see the .lnk version first. No? I guess not. I thought it worked that way before.
The output of strace may convince you of that as well. ;-) It might actually work as you describe it though if
you can get Cygwin to think that it can't open the former. I could see that being the case if the UNIX symlink was created by a user ID Cygwin didn't recognize, for example.
I've backed off to using hardlinks which work on both systems but it doesn't work for directories.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.