Re: Combining path components

On 1/3/2012 9:32 PM, Radly wrote:

I just installed Cygwin, which I've used off and on since it was created. I've been using MinGw for several months and have a .bashrc file that sets up some environment variables for me to reduce the typing in some routine tasks. The file has the following form, after modifying the first line from MinGw's format to Cygwin's:

export DD=/cygdrive/D/Common
export LL=$DD/labs

The intent is to make $LL refer to /cygdrive/D/Common/labs.  If I execute
those commands at the bash prompt, I get the desired effect:

"echo $LL" produces "/cygdrive/D/Common/labs"

But when I do
$ . .bashrc  (or ./.bashrc, either one)
$ echo $LL

I get
/labsrive/D/Common

instead of
/cygdrive/D/Common/labs

When I experiment with various paths for DD and LL, I see the following
pattern.  The beginning of the DD string is overwritten with the LL string.
For instance, DD=/abcdef/ghi/jklmn; LL=/opqr yields $LL=/opqref/ghi/jklmn.

Do you have CRLF line endings in your .bashrc? Try running dos2unix on it.

Ken