Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

I use Cygwin a lot and use ssh a lot. I typically set up sshd on my laptop with Cygwin and enjoy ssh'ing (and scp'ing, etc.) around effortlessly between various Unix/Linux and Cygwin machines. I'd like to show this goodness to others but many people don't bother installing Cygwin or at least don't install OpenSSH (which, IMHO should be part of the default install!) and proclaim "Well I have putty!".

Now putty does work but I like having pre-shared keys with ssh sessions. But I can't seem to get Putty's PuttyGen generated ssh keys to work with Cygwin's sshd. http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#pubkey <http://the.earth.li/%7Esgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#pubkey> states to basically use PuttyGen to generate the key then copy and paste it into your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. I do that but when I try to ssh in from a remote system using Putty I keep getting prompted for a password. Does anybody know how to fix/configure this?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected the expected.