1.7.10: ipconfig opens a new console

It used to be that when I ran ipconfig from bash, it would print output on stdout as usual.  But for
some time now, when I run ipconfig it opens a new console window, which then immediately closes
again, making it impossible for me to read the output.  At the same time, back in bash I see

$ ipconfig
     15 [main] bash 3060! _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: something failed for pid 0: res 3060, hProcess
0x68C, wr_proc_pipe 0x738 vs. 0x738, Win32 error 5

My terminal is PuTTYcyg if that matters, although I get the same result in mintty.  uname -r
confirms that I'm really running 1.7.10 this time.

Thanks,
Andrew.