Re: Problems with tkinter after python upgrade on cygwin

Hans Peter,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 05:23:37PM +0100, Hans Peter Jepsen wrote:
> Dear Jason
>
> I hope you can help me.

In the future, please heed the following:

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE

> I googled for an answer, but did not find any.

What about the following Google search on "TclError: no display name
and no $DISPLAY environment variable"?

http://www.google.com/search?q=TclError%3A+no+display+name+and+no+%24DISPLAY+environment+variable

The first item from the above search yields:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/tcl-error-no-display-name-and-no-display-environment-variable-340184/

> My problem is, that after upgrading Cygwin and with that python and
> tcl, and now get this error-message with a program, that worked
> before:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "ParamdbTool.py", line 445, in <module>
>
>     tkroot = tk.Tk()
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1643, in __init__
>
>     self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className, interactive,
> wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
>
> _tkinter.TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
>

> Do you have any ideas on how to get around this.

You need to install X, define the DISPLAY environment variable, and
start X.  After these steps, your Tkinter program should work again.

Jason