Re: Snapshot 20120214: fork: can't reserve memory for stack

On 2012-02-15 13:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 15 22:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 15 14:01, Eric Blake wrote:
On Feb 15 11:45, Jehan Bing wrote:
I'm getting the following error starting with cygwin snapshot
20120214 when running a git command:

$ git add bigfile-test.dll
       0 [main] git 7440 D:\dev_apps\cygwin\bin\git.exe: *** fatal
error in forked process - fork: can't reserve memory for stack
0xAD0000 - 0xBD0000, Win32 error 487

I can't reproduce that (also on W7). How big is bigfile-test.dll?

Eric, does git use pthreads and fork from a thread, by any chance?

/me rummages around in git.git

Well, it certainly has both pthread_create and fork calls in the same
files (at least run-command.c), although I'm not quire sure if it tries
to actually fork from a pthread rather than from the main thread.

Ok, thanks anyway. I think I know what happens. Two days ago I thought it is a good idea to use the Windows-provided stack from CreateThread by default (== if the application didn't provide its own). Too bad that Windows creates the stacks typically in the lower regions of the processes VM. I guess I have to revert that, so that pthread_create always uses a self-created stack again. Oh well. So much for "good ideas"...

Just reverted in CVS. Will show up in the next snapshot.

Snapshot 20120216 works.

Thanks,
	Jehan