Re: Problem with daylight saving time, off by one hour

On Feb 28 10:00, Frank Farance wrote:
> I've had Cygwin running on a Windows XP workstation for years using rsync
> as my primary backup tool for my data files.  The workstation just crashed
> with a hard drive failure, I've replaced the drive and so on.  Initially,
> I was recovering most of the files with WinSCP (5.0.5) from the backup
> server.
>
> While this was going on, I was working on the script to recover the files
> (essentially swapping the arguments to the rsync script I used for
> backup).  As I was testing this on already-recovered files (via WinSCP) I
> noticed that some needed to be transferred again.  To make a long story
> short, rsync (via Cygwin) has a different sense of time than WinSCP or
> Windows for files modified during summer time.
>
> For example, the file 100_1164.JPG copied by WinSCP reports a timestamp of
> 2005-09-01 10:46, which is consistent with the EXIF data in the file, and
> consistent with Windows XP's report of the time 10:46.
>
> Meanwhile, rsync belives the file is different and looks to update it.
> Furthermore, ls reports the wrong time (via --full-time) as 11:46 -0400.
> Yes, ls has the right timezone offset (it was summer time in NYC on
> 2005-09-01), but the time itself is wrong.  Even when I precede the
> command with TZ=UTC0, the UTC time reported by ls is wrong (says 15:46,
> should be 14:46).

I can't reproduce this issue.  I have files created during summer time
as well, on my Linux machine and my Cygwin box.  The output of ls -l
in Linux and Cygwin is identical for the files on the Samba share,
and the timestamps of Windows and Cygwin are identical as well.

Are the timezone settings on the remote machine and the local machine
identical?

Corinna

Red Hat