Re: emacsclient from cygwin distro does not work with Cygwin emacs

On 3/13/2012 9:04 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
Leo <leoslists@letterboxes.org> was heard to say:

Well, the directory does exist. Furthermore I tried it with
"~/.emacsdata/server/" (tilde instead of expanded home directory)
first and it doesn't work. Strange thing is it *does* work in NTemacs
with the tilde: I can see, that NTemacs creates a file named "server"
in the directory "~/.emacsdata/server/"" and emacsclient then finds
that file.

I can confirm that Emacs does not honor server-auth-dir. I did not customize this variable or alter it otherwise. Its value is "~/.emacs.d/server/" which is apparently a hard-coded default. However, my server file is in "/tmp/emacs45021/", not in "~/.emacs.d/server/". If I quit Emacs and create "~/.emacs.d/server/" (which did not exist on my system), Emacs still does not use this directory when I start it again.

I'll look into this as soon as I can. I don't use emacsclient, so I'll need some help. Please give me step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem, preferably starting with `emacs -Q'. Tell me what happens and what should happen (with pointers to the documentation).

I think I recall relatively recent threads on the emacs-devel list about bugs in emacsclient. So it's possible that the bug has been fixed for the upcoming release of emacs-24.1.

BTW, have either of you tried this on Linux to see if it behaves the way you expect?

Ken