How to I generate a hyper or super modifier in cygwin emacs under X

Hi there

I try to set up emacs in a way that I can use key bindings like H-x (Hyper + character x). In NT emacs the alt key could be configured to issue the hyper or super modifier code and NOT the Meta modifier.

In Cygwin emacs under X I am not able to achieve this: Normal behavior is that Alt issues Meta (M-x for example), but then there is no distinction between alt and escape. :-(

I'm not sure wether this is an emacs or an X server issue, but I *think* it is an emacs issue (therefor I send it to the cygwin list and not to the cygwin-xfree list): Via the X tool xmodemap I tried to set the "mod1" modifier, but in emacs it gets mapped to "Meta".

When xmodmap prints the following mapping:
	shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
	lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
	control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
	mod1        Alt_R (0x71)
	mod2
	mod3
	mod4
	mod5

emacs understands Alt as meta. So far so good.

Than I changed it via an .xmodmaprc file it to "mod2", so xmodmap prints the following:
shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
mod1
mod2 Alt_R (0x71)
mod3
mod4
mod5

but Cgwin emacs still maps Alt to meta! I tried mod3-mod5 as well, but no luck, emacs seems to map all modifier apart from control and shift to meta, instead mapping some to Hyper (H- ) or Super (S- )

Any workaround? or do I do something wrongly?

Many thanks, Leo