Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: texlive-collection-*-20120312-1

On 3/14/2012 9:52 AM, Fergus wrote:
/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/symbol: failed to write cache
/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/times: failed to write cache
/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/zapfchan: failed to write cache
/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/zapfding: failed to write cache
2012/03/14 07:29:42 abnormal exit: exit code=146

 > Those errors are coming from the calls to fc-cache in the new
postinstall scripts.
 > Do you have the latest version of fontconfig installed?

Thank you for getting back so rapidly.
Yes, fontconfig is installed (and therefore I assume latest version).
There is a
03/02/2012 09:11 178,702 /bin/cygfontconfig-1.dll
file There is also a /etc/postinstall/fontconfig.sh.done file.

(a) Incidentally I originally installed texlive-collection over an
obsolete tetex, which installation (a) took forever and (b) tailed off
at the end with a fontconfig installation error that I reported at
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00226.html.

(b) So I then did what always seems to me to be the strategy of last
resort: re-install brand new Cygwin from the ground up. Evidently
successful - no error messages; presence of fontconfig.sh.done as
stated; and until today's update of texlive-collection-*-20120312-1, no
problems!

(c) Just this minute I tried setup.exe again. Nothing new to install in
the last 8 hours but setup still took 10 (no: nearer 20) minutes
labouring over postinstall scripts (presumably taking a second crack at
those it failed with previously? ... lacking the *.sh.done files?) and
ended with a *similar but different* error announcement

My guess is still that it's a fontconfig issue. I'm not an expert on that, but I would suggest that you try `fc-cache -fsv' (and capture the output). If that runs without errors, then we'll have to look for something else in the postinstall scripts.

Ken