Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 1.7.12

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> The weird home dir could be a bug in Cygwin.  I can't reproduce it,
> but I could think of a reason.  Do you have a directory called
> /mnt/userdata or an account called userdata in /etc/passwd?  Anyway,
> I applied a patch which should result in:

No account there with the name "userdata", but there was an empty
directory named /mnt/userdata.  I've deleted it since the mountpoint
will work without it, let's see if the issue comes up again.

>   $ cd ~\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?
>   : No such file or directory.

I ended up in /mnt/userdata, but the really interesting issue was if I
would then cd into "All Users" for instance, the prompt would show:

~\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\/All Users

I had to do a 'cd ~otheruser' to a user that has a home dir in passwd
before tcsh forgot about that association, IIRC.  I can test that again
if it is of any importance.

> As you know, Cygwin has to map between Windows SID and POSIX uid/gid
> when mapping user accounts.  That's what /etc/passwd and /etc/group are
> for.  If a file belongs to a user for which there's no entry in
> /etc/passwd (same for group -> /etc/group), then the uid is set to -1.
> ls then prints somthing like this:
[...]

I don't have any problems with the question marks showing up in
directory listings, I would just prefer if a user that has no home
directory set in /etc/passwd is not offered as an expansion for '~'.

But as there are likely more important problems to solve, if things stay
as they arethis is also OK.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: